Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year Resolution

On the way home this evening, Sam asked me what my New Year Resolution is for 2018. I really didn't have an answer. I never achieve them so I really hadn't thought about it. We started talking about the house projects and things we want to do with the house over the next year and suddenly it dawned on me: I want...no NEED...to be more organized and declutter at home.

I am great at organization at school. I have paper files and binders and notebooks and digital files. They are color coded and neat. I get complimented on how organized I am and help others do the same. I am efficient and my office space is functional, presentable and welcoming. I have yet to fully accomplish this at the same level in our home. Just ask my mother and she will quickly tell you that I am the queen of leaving "trails." I get home from work and off go my shoes by the door. A couple feet later and there goes my work bag. Then the keys and my purse, followed a few feet later by the mail. I make my way to the kitchen for a drink and the dirty glass goes on the counter. Then to the bedroom where I change clothes and the dirty clothes are by the bed. You get the idea.

It stresses me out and yet I continue to leave "trails." I continue to gather "stuff" that I don't use or use rarely. When people are coming over I want my house spotlessly clean yet warm and welcoming. This has been a point of contention in our marriage as well because I get so uptight and stressed constantly trying to keep things neat and clean. Have I mentioned that we have a 4 year old and a 2 month old?!

With Abby's baptism and consequently lunch celebration following at our house coming up in two weeks...something has got to give! So here it is...my New Year Resolution is to declutter and organize at home to help the entire family (and my sanity!) one step at a time. Just looking at the closet that I worked on the other day eases my anxiety so I am hopeful that as I work on little things here and there, mama will be happy, and then EVERYONE will be happy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment